Friday 12 January 2018

That iconic building on Quay Street

Here is the confession.

For years I have passed this building and pretty much taken it for granted.

I have wondered about its history but have never really gone off to look, and now Andy Robertson thinks it might disappear which was all he needed to get down to Quay Street and record it.

Someone will know its fate and also its history.

And spurred on by its origins I went and trawled the City's Local Image Collection where I am convinced I have seen a picture of the building, but alas I drew a blank.

But various people remembered or thought they remembered it from earlier last century but fittingly it was Andy who found it in the Manchester collection when I didn't.

So here from 1968 is that said building.




Location; Manchester





Picture, looking down Deansgate, 2018 from the collection of Andy Robertson and in 1968, T Brooks, m02350, courtesy of Manchester Libraries, Information and Archives, Manchester City Council, http://images.manchester.gov.uk/index.php?session=pass

2 comments:

  1. I seem to recall it belonging to Granada or another part of ITV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't Granada use this building for something, way back?

    ReplyDelete