Monday 8 January 2018

Deansgate at Dusk ....... a sky line forever altered

Now I am not a Luddite, nor do I have a thing against modern buildings, but there remains a simple observation that when a building makes you feel insignificant then there is something wrong with its design.

The great vaunting spires of Medieval cathedrals may have soared upwards but there was a limit to how far they could go, and that limit suited most of us.

Tall enough to make a statement about the building and its relationship to God but never too huge that you forgot this was a structure which was meant to be comfortable to look at and be part of.

All of which brings me to those two new towers at the end of Deansgate and a feeling that they add nothing to the landscape.

But that is just my opinion.  In the fullness of time I will ask Andy Robertson who has been recording the onward rise of the two since the ground was broken and building began.

Location Manchester

Pictures; Deansgate at Dusk ....... a sky line forever altered, 2018, from the collection of Andy Robertson

1 comment:

  1. And I still call it 'Knott Mill Station', not Deansgate.

    ReplyDelete